EB1B Green Card for Researchers Attorney

In the diverse and complex landscape of immigration law, the EB1B Green Card stands out as an exceptional avenue for researchers and scholars looking to make the United States their permanent home. The EB1B category, often referred to as the "Outstanding Researchers or Professors" category, is designed specifically for those who have demonstrated extraordinary ability and recognition in their academic fields. ‍

If you're unsure whether you're eligible for an EB1B Green Card, we can help. At Malone Immigration Law, we've got a lot of experience with immigration issues and can help you understand the complicated laws that might apply to you. Contact us today to set up a free chat. We'll help you understand your situation and what to do next.

What Is an EB1B Green Card?‍

The EB1B Green Card is a part of the larger EB-1 employment-based immigration preference category, which is itself divided into three subcategories: EB1A (Extraordinary Ability), EB1B (Outstanding Professors and Researchers), and EB1C (Multinational Executives and Managers). The EB1B category specifically targets talented researchers and professors who have received widespread recognition for their unique contributions to their respective fields.

Unlike many other visa categories, the EB1B does not require labor certification, which can significantly expedite the application process. Furthermore, the EB1B category generally has a shorter waiting time than other employment-based categories because of the comparatively fewer applications it receives.

EB1B Green Card Eligibility Criteria‍

To qualify for an EB1B Green Card, applicants must meet stringent criteria that affirm their status as outstanding researchers or professors. These include:

  1. International Recognition: Applicants must demonstrate international recognition for their outstanding achievements in a particular academic field.
  2. Advanced Degree: The applicant must possess at least a Master’s degree or equivalent (or a Bachelor’s degree followed by at least five years of progressive experience in the field).
  3. Minimum Experience: Applicants must have at least three years of experience in teaching or research in the academic field. This could include tenure-track teaching or a comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.
  4. Offer of Employment: Applicants must have a job offer for a permanent research position or a tenure or tenure-track teaching position from a U.S. employer.

Application Process

The application process for an EB1B Green Card involves two main steps:

‍Filing of the I-140 Petition: The U.S. employer must file Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition must include evidence that satisfies the eligibility criteria outlined above.

Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing: Once the I-140 is approved, the applicant can apply for an adjustment of status (if they are already in the U.S.) or go through consular processing (if they are outside the U.S.).

Our Immigration team is dedicated to helping and representing you. The first step in this process is for us to understand your particular case. Our goal is to take the time needed to understand your situation inside and out so that we can put you in the best position possible. After your free consultation, you will have a better understanding of what you are facing and what options you have.

‍We provide a free confidential consultation. It’s important to us that you understand what options you have. Schedule your free consultation today by filling out the form below.

Get in touch with our experts

Talk to an Expert

(404) 369-1180